Thailand Covid insurance is a health insurance that is mandatory for foreigners traveling to Thailand during pandemic. Just before the borders of Thailand were closed, the Thai government applied a new insurance requirement to cover COVID-19 treatment to all travelers entering Thailand.
All incoming foreign travelers must provide a health insurance policy with an insured amount of at least 10,000 USD, covering outpatient and inpatient treatment of the coronavirus type COVID-19 upon departure to Thailand. This rule came into effect on March 19, 2020.
Update! Starting from 1 July 2022, insurance with minimum 10,000 USD coverage will NO LONGER required!
According to the Thailand Insurance Commission, COVID-19 insurance for foreigners is approved to cover travelers who pass through immigration in Thailand. The coverage should be valid for medical treatment after the diagnosis of COVID-19 infection and necessary treatment, the company should pay compensation up to 10,000 USD.
In the event of a COVID-19 illness in Thailand, health insurance should cover the costs of care and treatment by a general practitioner or specialist, the medicine prescribed by a doctor, necessary patient transport and hospitalization in a local hospital.
Thailand COVID-19 insurance policies
Health insurance policies that don’t mention the "COVID-19" coverage may be refused. The certificate needs to state explicitly 3 conditions that the Health Insurance is for 10,000 USD or more, COVID-19 is covered and time of coverage. If your present insurance does not meet the requirements, it will not be accepted by Thai authorities and you will not be allowed to travel to Thailand.
Thailand COVID-19 insurance policy can be issued in English. If the policy is issued in another language, the policy should contain an English transcription.
Below is an example of COVID-19 Insurance Certificate
How much does Thailand COVID-19 insurance cost?
The price of Thailand COVID-19 insurance can be varying and depends on your age and how long you will be staying in Thailand. The insurance can cost anywhere from 280 THB for a 4 day stay to 100,000 THB for a yearly coverage with extra benefits.
How to buy insurance for entering Thailand?
You need to purchase COVID-19 insurance for Thailand before traveling. To find travel insurance policies that cover COVID-19 for Thailand travel is easy. There are two ways to check a health insurance policy that meets the requirements for entering Thailand:
- In person at the office of the insurance company
- Completely independently on the Internet using an online service
Keep in mind that you should also check for Coronavirus Coverage to see relevant policies and set the minimum cover to at least 10,000 USD. The purchased online and then printed insurance policy is accepted by Thai embassies or consulates.
Thai insurance companies are offering Thailand COVID-19 insurance for foreigners and the policies are tailored according to the government's requirements and therefore are accepted by Thai authorities with no trouble. Getting Thai insurance policy is easy as you can conveniently buy Thailand COVID-19 insurance online with credit card and the insurance policy and COVID-19 certificate will be sent to you instantly.
What is the best Thailand Covid insurance?
The best Thailand Covid insurance policies are listed below.
1. Sawasdee Thailand by AXA
Sawasdee Thailand is the special Covid insurance package offered by AXA Insurance. This inbound Thailand travel insurance was successfully used by thousands of travelers to enter Thailand during COVID-19 pandemic as it meets all the requirements:
- Meets 10,000 USD health insurance requirement of application for Thailand Pass
- Period from 7 days up to 180 days, for you to choose depending on visa type and duration of the trip
- Coverage starts immediately after clearing immigration in Thailand
- AXA Sawasdee Thailand is a comprehensive travel insurance covering NOT only Covid-19 medical expenses but other sicknesses, accidents and trips
- Insurance certificate including COVID-19 coverage statement is provided (this document needs to be submitted when applying for Thailand Pass)
- No waiting period, no deductible, no advance payment for hospitalization
- Large hospital network throughout Thailand and 24-hour hotline service.
The price of AXA COVID-19 insurance depends on the length of travel period, age and country of departure (Low Risk Zone, Medium Risk Zone or High Risk Zone). The price can be calculated and insurance can be purchased online here: Sawasdee Thailand.
To make sure that you are getting a good deal for COVID-19 insurance, you might wish to compare several offers.
2. Tune Protect iPass
Tune Protect Thailand is another Thai insurance company offering a very popular solution for satisfying Thailand COVID-19 insurance requirement – Tune Protect iPass. The insurance covers the entire period of stay in Thailand of the insured person. A variety of packages is offered in accordance with the insurance plans and the periods of stay in Thailand.
This Thailand inbound travel insurance policy can be easily bought online and covers COVID-19 treatment for more than 10,000 USD.
3. Allianz International COVID Insurance
Allianz International COVID-19 Insurance that fits Thailand entry requirements can also be easily purchased online via Thai insurance broker Mister Prakan.
Main benefits of Allianz International COVID Insurance for foreigners entering Thailand:
- Insurance certification for COVID-19 will be provided along with your policy so you will be able to show this to the immigration when entering Thailand.
- The policy covers the medical expenses of COVID-19 or Coronavirus as required by the Thai government for those entering Thailand.
- No waiting period. The coverage will start as soon as you leave the country of the departure point or as soon as you reach the Thai immigration points.
- Medical expenses cover, accidental cover, third-party cover, luggage insurance, 24/7 emergency assistance coverage.
4. LUMA COVID Insurance
Please be noted that all COVID policies from LUMA are insured by Tune Protect Insurance therefore you should choose one of the plans from Tune Protect Insurance.
COVID-19 Insurance for Thais entering Thailand
Thai nationals don't need COVID-19 insurance for entering Thailand according any of the new Thailand reopening schemes.
For more detailed information in Thai, you can find here: COVID-19 Insurance for Thais entering Thailand
Cost of COVID-19 medical treatment
Diagnostics for the presence of coronavirus by PCR for foreigners in Thailand can cost from 3,000 THB to 14,000 THB, depending on where you are tested. For those who meet the PUI criteria, the government will support the cost of diagnosis (either public or private hospital).
The cost of treatment for coronavirus in hospitals in Thailand ranges from 700 USD to 1,000 USD per day, depending on the hospital. There may also be additional costs of staying in the intensive care unit (ICU). For foreigners who are positive for COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 infection), the cost of treatment will be covered by the health insurance package. Thai people who tested positive for COVID-19 are responsible for the cost of the treatment by themselves through their health insurance or gold card.
Others requirements to enter Thailand
Non-Thai nationals who are permitted to enter Thailand must have the following documents to enter Thailand:
- Valid visa or re-entry permit (or right to use visa exemption)
- Thailand Pass
- Health insurance policy which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of 10,000 USD
- COVID-19-Free Health Certificate with a laboratory test result indicating that COVID-19 is negative, using RT-PCR method, which has been certified or issued no more than 72 hours before departure (not required for fully vaccinated travelers from 1 April 2022)
- Confirmation of AQ Hotel booking for 5 days under Alternative Quarantine (AQ) program (only for unvaccinated travelers with no negative RT-PCR test result before travel)
General information about Medical Services in Thailand
Medical services in Thailand are some of the best in Asia so you don't have to worry about your health when you have a health insurance for treatment and related costs in case of an unforeseen situation.
There are about 400 hospitals in Thailand that are accessible to anyone and most of them offer high standard medical services. Moreover, most of the clinics with all the necessary equipment are located in large cities. In the tourist areas you will find many international clinics. In rural areas, it is still not hard to find local clinics, so basic care is definitely available everywhere. They can provide any qualified assistance and conduct an examination.
Furthermore, if you need any medications, you can buy them freely at any pharmacy at low price. Almost all medicines in Thailand are sold without a prescription.
Medical services are generally cheaper in Thailand, but the bill can add up quickly when you go to private hospitals. Bills from doctors and hospitals in Thailand must be paid immediately in cash or by credit card. You can then get the costs reimbursed in most cases if you have an appropriate insurance covering traveling abroad.