If you are reading this post, then most probably you are interested in health insurance for traveling to Thailand. Just before the borders of Thailand were closed, the Thai government applied a new insurance requirement to cover COVID-19 treatment to all travelers entering the Kingdom of Thailand.
All incoming foreign travelers must provide a health insurance policy with an insured amount of at least 100,000 USD, covering outpatient and inpatient treatment of the coronavirus type COVID-19 upon departure to Thailand. Medical insurance is also required for applying visa to Thailand. This rule came into effect on March 19, 2020.
According to the Thailand Insurance Commission, COVID-19 insurance for foreigners is approved to cover travelers who pass through immigration in Thailand. The coverage should be valid for medical treatment after the diagnosis of COVID-19 infection and necessary treatment, the company should pay compensation up to 3.5 million THB (100,000 USD).
In the event of a COVID-19 illness in Thailand, health insurance should cover the costs of care and treatment by a general practitioner or specialist, the medicine prescribed by a doctor, necessary patient transport and hospitalization in a local hospital.
Insurance policies with COVID-19 coverage
From the reports seen online, Thai embassies tend to refuse documents that don’t mention the "COVID-19" coverage. The certificate needs to state explicitly 3 conditions that the Health Insurance is for 100,000 USD or more, COVID-19 is covered and time of coverage. If your present insurance does not meet the requirements, it will not be accepted by Thai Embassy and you will not be allowed to travel to Thailand.
The health insurance policy can be issued in English. If the policy is issued in another language, the policy should contain an English transcription.
Below is an example of Covid-19 Insurance Certificate
How much does COVID-19 insurance cost?
The price of COVID-19 insurance can be varying and depends on your age and how long you will be staying in Thailand. The insurance can cost anywhere from 2,700 THB to 100,000 THB.
How to buy medical insurance for Thailand?
You need to purchase health insurance before traveling. To find medical insurance policies that cover COVID-19 for Thailand travel is easy. There are two ways to check a health insurance policy that meets the requirements for obtaining a visa to Thailand:
- In person at the office of the insurance company
- Completely independently on the Internet using an online service
Keep in mind that you should also check for Coronavirus Coverage to see relevant policies and set the minimum cover to at least 100,000 USD. The purchased online and then printed insurance policy is accepted by Thai embassies or consulates.
Thai insurance companies are offering COVID-19 insurance policies that are tailored according to the government's requirements and therefore are accepted by Thai embassies and consulates with no trouble. Getting Thai insurance policy is easy as you can conveniently buy insurance online with credit card and the insurance policy and COVID-19 certificate will be sent to you instantly.
1. Sawasdee Thailand
Sawasdee Thailand is the special insurance package offered by AXA Insurance. This inbound travel insurance was successfully used by thousands of travelers to enter Thailand during COVID-19 pandemic as it meets all the requirements:
- Meet 100,000USD health insurance requirement of application for Certificate of Entry (COE) and Phuket Sandbox
- Period of 30, 60, 90, 180, 270, and up to 365 days, for you to choose depending on visa type
- Coverage starts immediately after clearing immigration in Thailand
- Coverage includes the 14-day quarantine the period of 14-day Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) , Alternative Local State Quarantine (ALSQ) and Sandbox stay
- Insurance certificate including COVID-19 coverage statement is provided (this document needs to be submitted when applying for COE)
- No waiting period , no deductible, no advance payment for hospitalization
- Large hospital network throughout Thailand and 24-hour hotline service.
Note: the statement on AXA’s website says that if you will be tested positive for COVID-19 during quarantine (a big concern for most of travelers) and won’t have any symptoms, AXA will cover medical expenses incurred based on medical necessity regardless of the showing of symptoms.
The price of AXA COVID-19 insurance depends on the length of travel period, age and country of departure (Low Risk Zone, Medium Risk Zone or High Risk Zone). The price can be calculated and insurance can be purchased online here: Sawasdee Thailand.
To make sure that you are getting a good deal for COVID-19 insurance, you might wish to compare several offers.
2. Tune Protect iPass
Tune Protect Thailand is another Thai insurance company offering a very popular solution for satisfying Thailand’s COVID-19 insurance requirement – Tune iPass. The insurance covers the entire period of stay in Thailand of the insured person. A variety of packages is offerred in accordance with the insurance plans and the periods of stay in Thailand.
This insurance policy can be easily bought online and covers COVID-19 treatment for more than 100,000 USD with premium starting at 3,100 THB.
If you will be using a long-term visa for entering Thailand and need an annual COVID-19 insurance policy. iPass COVID–19 might be the right solution for you as it satisfies immigration requirement with the annual premium being only 15,000 THB.
3. Thailand Inbound Pass
Another Thai company offering COVID-19 insurance online for travelers to Thailand is the local insurance broker Mister Prakan and their Thailand Pass Insurance.
Main Benefits of Covid Insurance for foreigners entering Thailand:
- Insurance Certification for Covid-19 will be provided along with your policy so you will be able to show this to the immigration when entering Thailand.
- The policies cover the ASQ 14-10-7 days quarantine period. If you need to see a doctor during the AQS period
- The policy covers the medical expenses of Covid-19 or Coronavirus as required by the Thai government for those entering Thailand.
- No waiting period. The coverage will start as soon as you leave the country of the departure point or as soon as you reach the Thai immigration points.
- Medical expenses cover, accidental cover, third-party cover, luggage insurance, 24/7 emergency assistance coverage.
COVID-19 Insurance for Thais entering Thailand
Thai nationals are able to buy a 100,000 USD COVID-19 policy for the entry of Thailand in case they wish to enter Thailand without quarantine according to the conditions of following Reopening Thailand Project.
For more detailed information in Thai, you can find here: COVID-19 Insurance for Thais entering Thailand
Cost of COVID-19 medical treatment
Diagnostics for the presence of coronavirus by PCR for foreigners in Thailand can cost from 3,000 THB to 14,000 THB, depending on where you are tested. For those who meet the PUI criteria, the government will support the cost of diagnosis (either public or private hospital).
The cost of treatment for coronavirus in hospitals in Thailand ranges from 700 USD to 1,000 USD per day, depending on the hospital. There may also be additional costs of staying in the intensive care unit (ICU). For foreigners who are positive for COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 infection), the cost of treatment will be covered by the health insurance package. Thai people who tested positive for COVID-19 are responsible for the cost of the treatment by themselves through their health insurance or gold card.
Others requirements to enter Thailand
Non-Thai nationals who are permitted to enter Thailand must present the following documents at check-in counter in the country of origin and at immigration control in Thailand:
- Valid visa or re-entry permit
- Certificate of Entry (COE) issued by the embassy
- Health insurance policy which covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with a minimum coverage of 100,000 USD
- COVID-19-Free Health Certificate with a laboratory test result indicating that COVID-19 is negative, using RT-PCR method, which has been certified or issued no more than 72 hours before departure
- Confirmation of Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) or Alternative Local Quarantine (ALQ) , Sandbox Hotels (SHA Plus Hotels) booking for the period of quarantine.
General information about Medical Services in Thailand
Medical services in Thailand are some of the best in Asia so you don't have to worry about your health when you have a health insurance for treatment and related costs in case of an unforeseen situation.
There are about 400 hospitals in Thailand that are accessible to anyone and most of them offer high standard medical services. Moreover, most of the clinics with all the necessary equipment are located in large cities. In the tourist areas you will find many international clinics. In rural areas, it is still not hard to find local clinics, so basic care is definitely available everywhere. They can provide any qualified assistance and conduct an examination.
Furthermore, if you need any medications, you can buy them freely at any pharmacy at low price. Almost all medicines in Thailand are sold without a prescription.
Medical services are generally cheaper in Thailand, but the bill can add up quickly when you go to private hospitals. Bills from doctors and hospitals in Thailand must be paid immediately in cash or by credit card. You can then get the costs reimbursed in most cases if you have an appropriate insurance covering traveling abroad.
For more information, you can check about health risks and vaccinations in Thailand.