When ordering noodles in Thailand, you will be asked what kind of noodles do you want – this one is called “Sen Yai” (th: ก๋วยเตี๋ยวเส้นใหญ่) – Thai wide rice noodles. Give this recipe a try using only your microwave today!
Learn Cooking Thai Food with us!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
1 cup all-purpose flour (or 1 cup 2 tablespoon cake flour) / แป้งสาลีอเนกประสงค์ 1 ถ้วยตวง
1/4 cup tapioca starch (or cornstarch) /แป้งมัน ¼ ถ้วยตวง
1 - 1 1/2 cup water / น้ำเปล่า 1- 1 ½ ถ้วยตวง
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, for brushing / น้ำมันพืช 1 ช้อนชา
1. Add flour, tapioca starch (or cornstarch) and water to a mixing bowl and mix everything together well.
2. Brush a light coating of oil on the bottom of the flat-bottom plate.
3. Add 2 1/2 tablespoon of the mix to the flat-bottom plate and tilt it a little to make even layer.
4. Heat it in your microwave (600 w) for 60 secs (changeable as it depends on the size of the plate and the amount of the mix).
5. Take the plate out of microwave, and then use a rubber spatula to loosen all sides of the sheet of noodle, and slowly lift it up and off the plate.
6. Lay the sheet on another plate (or a cutting board) and coat the top lightly but thoroughly with oil to prevent sticking.
7. Repeat all the steps with the remaining mix.
When sliced, the layers will separate into thin noodles. By the way, you can feel free to cut them in whatever sizes and shapes you like. You can put them in noodle soups or stir fry them by adding directly to the already stir-fried vegetables.
Thai Recipes with “Sen Yai” as an Ingredient
- Pad See Ew (th: ผัดซีอิ้วเส้นใหญ่) – Stir-Fried Noodles with Soy Sauce
- Pad Kee Mao (th: ผัดขี้เมาเส้นใหญ่) or Drunken Noodles – Spicy Stir Fried Drunken Noodle
- Rad Na (th: ราดหน้าเส้นใหญ่) – Rice Noodles in Thick Gravy (Cooking Thai Style Noodles in Gravy (Rad Na Sen-Yai))
- Guay Tiew Kua Gai (th: ก๋วยเตี๋ยวคั่วไก่) – Rice Noodles Stir-fried with Chicken
- Guay Tiew Lord (th: ก๋วยเตี๋ยวหลอด) – Rice Noodles Roll with Bean Sprout
- Pad Thai (th: ผัดไทยเส้นใหญ่) – Thai-Style Stir-Fried Noodles
- Guay Tiew Lui Suan (th: ก๋วยเตี๋ยวลุยสวน) – Thai-Style Fresh Noodle Rolls with Herbs
Check here for more of "Sen-Yai" recipes: 5 Best Stir-Fried Noodle Dishes in Thailand.