Thailand visa for Maldivians is not necessary since 14 April 2019, as the Free Visa-Exempt Stay allowing to visit Thailand for up to 30 days became available to the citizens of Maldives. For longer trips you still need to get Thailand Visa in advance from Thai embassy or consulate.
Thailand Visa Free for Maldivians
HOT NEWS! Thailand visa exemption giving the right to visit Thailand visa free for up to 30 days was recently granted to Maldives and six other countries. Starting from 14 April 2019, citizens of Maldives no longer need to apply for Visa on Arrival and are given visa free entry to Thailand.
More information: Thailand Visa Exemption Available for 7 New Countries.
Thailand Visa Exemption for Maldivians
Citizens of Maldives can stay in Thailand without a visa for up to 30 days if arriving at the airport. When entering Thailand through the land border crossings from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia or Malaysia, Maldivians can stay in Thailand visa-free for 30 days too but the number of times you can use visa exemption when crossing by land during the year is limited.
As a citizen of Maldives you can use Thailand Free Visa-Exempt Stay if you have the following:
- Passport issued by the Maldives which is valid for at least 6 months from the day of your arrival
- A return or onward travel ticket within 30 days (flights from the Maldives to Thailand can be booked here: Cheap Flights from Maldives to Thailand)
- Dully filled-in Arrival Card which will be handed to you during your flight
- A proof of funds - at least 10,000 THB per person and 20,000 THB per family in cash (can be equivalent in any other currency)
Thailand Tourist Visa for Maldivians
If you're a citizen of Maldives and you have a plan to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days, you should get another type of Thailand Visa in advance. As a tourist, you can use a Single-Entry Tourist Visa.
In the Maldives you can no longer apply for Thailand visa at Thai Consulate in Male. You need to apply at Thai Embassy in Colombo, Sri Lanka instead.
Single-Entry Tourist Visa is valid for entering Thailand once within 3 months from the date of application. The allowed period of stay is 60 days which can be extended for 30 days once. Thai Single-Entry Tourist Visa can be applied for at any Thai embassy or consulate worldwide. Keep in mind that Thai embassies and consulates normally close on public Thai holidays and the public holidays of the country they are in, so plan your visit there accordingly.
When applying for Thai Single-Entry Tourist Visa you normally need (the exact list of documents depends on embassy / consulate so double check):
- Passport valid for at least 6 months from the day of your arrival.
- A copy of passport Bio page.
- Duly filled-in and signed Thai Visa Application Form.
- One passport size photo (4,5 x 3,5 cm).
- A ticket for your journey to Thailand and return / onward journey ticket for leaving Thailand within 60 days.
- Proof of accommodation - confirmed hotel booking (at least for the first night in Thailand).
- Visa fee.
At the time of your arrival to Thailand, you will have to submit Thailand Arrival Card as well.
Thailand visa for citizens of Maldives can also be issued by Thai embassies and consulates in other countries, such as Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, so you can get your visa during your travel. For more information check:
- How to Get a Thailand Tourist Visa in Vientiane, Laos
- How to Get a Thailand Tourist Visa in Bali, Indonesia
- How to Get Thailand Visa in Yangon, Myanmar
Your stay in Thailand can be extended once per entry. In most cases it can be extended by 30 days. For more information check: Thai Visa Extension.
Check our Frequently Asked Questions about Thailand Visa on Arrival and ask your own question if it's not answered there yet.