Myanmar Visa online application aka Myanmar eVisa service is the easiest and most convenient way to get Myanmar Visa for most nationalities. Online application for Myanmar Visa is smooth and shouldn’t take more than 10-15 minutes if all required documents are in place. Check how to apply for Myanmar Visa online.
Is Myanmar eVisa worth it?
Since the start of the service, the price of Myanmar eVisa was 50 USD. A couple of years ago, you could get a tourist visa at the embassy or consulate for half that price so eVisa didn’t look that attractive.
However, the price of Myanmar Visa in Bangkok recently was doubled and now starts at 1600 THB (~49 USD). Include costs for transportation to Myanmar Embassy (2 trips) and document photos (2 photos are required at the embassy), count the time you waste (more or less 2 hours at the embassy, not including two trips there and back that can easily take you double that) and Myanmar eVisa will be a cheaper alternative.
Myanmar eVisa helps you save time and money so it’s definitely worth it!
When you shouldn’t apply for Myanmar eVisa?
No matter how good Myanmar eVisa seems to be, there are cases when you shouldn’t apply for Myanmar visa online:
- If your citizenship allows you to use Myanmar Visa exemption (available for 8 countries in Southeast Asia only) and your stay will be up to 14 days (only Singaporeans can stay in Myanmar up to 30 days with no visa).
- If your country isn’t included in the list of 100 countries eligible for Myanmar eVisa.
- If you need a different kind of Myanmar Visa as only tourist visa and business visa can be issued online.
- If you don’t have a valid Visa, Mastercard, American Express or JCB credit or debit card.
- If you are collecting visa stickers in your passport (you will get a stamp only when applying for eVisa).
What do you need for Myanmar eVisa application?
When applying for Myanmar visa online, you need just 4 things:
- Your passport – it must be issued by one of eligible countries and must be valid for at least 6 months or your planned arrival.
- Digital color photo – the photo should be not older than 3 months and the size of photo should be 4.6 cm X 3.8 cm (aspect ratio matters). Just scan your document photo with white background and crop it by the required aspect ratio for it to look normal on your application.
- Prepare your credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express or JCB will work) and make sure that there’s at least 50 USD in the balance (or more if you are applying for express service or business visa).
- Book your accommodation as you will need to provide your address in Myanmar and it must be a registered hotel, motel, inn, guest house or resort.
Myanmar eVisa Application
Applying for Myanmar visa online is easy and can be done at the official website of Myanmar eVisa that can be found here: Official Myanmar eVisa Website. Use only the official website of Myanmar eVisa, otherwise you risk to get scammed!
You will get Myanmar Visa within 6 steps when applying online:
Step 1 - Fill in Myanmar visa online application form
You are required to enter all the necessary information in the Myanmar visa online application form.
Choose “Apply eVisa” from the menu. On the first page of eVisa application you will have to choose a visa type, your nationality and the port of entry.
Then you will moved to the second page and asked provide your personal information, address in Myanmar, passport details and additional information about the agency (if you will be traveling with package tour) and minor children traveling on the same passport (if any). At this step you will also need to upload your document photo.
Tips on how to fill Myanmar eVisa form correctly can be found here: Myanmar eVisa Form: How to Fill Myanmar Visa Form Online.
Once all the information will be filled in, click the button “Continue” and you will be moved to the verification page.
Step 2 – Double check the information & confirm
Your Myanmar eVisa application form will be formed and show up in a pop-up window asking to verify your information. Double check it as any incorrect information might lead to the rejection of your Myanmar eVisa application. If the details of your eVisa approval letter will not correspond to the details of your passport, you might be denied an entry to Myanmar at the border. So take it seriously, double check and verify all the information entered is correct before proceeding to the next step.
You won’t be able to edit the information after confirming it so if anything will be wrong, you will have to apply once again.
Step 3 – Pay the eVisa fee
Make the payment with your credit or debit card. Visa, MasterCard, American Express or JCB can be used for the payment of Myanmar eVisa fee. The fee will show up automatically, depending on the type of visa you have chosen before.
With Visa, MasterCard and American Express you can pay directly. Direct Visa and MasterCard payments are handled by Singaporean company eNETS and at least for us everything worked smoothly (we used MasterCard debit card for this payment).
You can also pay the eVisa fee by UOB Payment (Visa, MasterCart and JCB accepted). One more option for the payment is using Alipay but this payment option is still in beta version.
Step 4 – Get Visa Application Acknowledgement letter
eVisa - Visa Application Acknowledgement letter of receiving Visa application with successful eVisa processing fee payment confirmation was sent to our email as soon as we completed payment. It shouldn’t take more than 1 hour after successful payment. Check spam folder if the email doesn’t show up within 1 hour.
Application number is also included in the email. This number can be used to check the status of the application at Myanmar eVisa website (choose “Status Enquiry” in the menu and enter your application number or passport number).
Step 5 – Get eVisa approval letter
Officially, Myanmar eVisa approval process may take up to 3 working days. For 6 USD extra you can choose eVisa express service and the process will take no longer than 24 hours. Express service is especially handy if you wish to get your Myanmar eVisa on weekend as the service is available 365 days a year.
As we were not in a hurry, we opted for the ordinary eVisa and paid 50 USD. To our surprise, it took only 5 hours for them to approve the application and we received eVisa approval letter via email on the same working day.
The eVisa approval letter you get officially is called “Tourist Visa Approval Letter to Myanmar”. The information provided on the approval letter is as follows:
- Approval Number (Visa No.) and barcode
- Visa Issued Date (the date of approval)
- Visa Expiry Date (90 days after the date of approval)
- Type: Tourist visa (unless you are applying for Business visa)
- Entry: Single (for re-entry you need to apply for eVisa once again)
- Date of Birth
- Passport Number
- Passport Expiry Date
You need to print out Myanmar eVisa approval letter and bring it along with your passport. Showing an electronic version or photo of the approval letter will not work as you are required to present a printed letter to the Immigration Officer upon arrival.
Step 6 - Get eVisa stamped upon arrival
The validity of Myanmar eVisa approval letter is 90 days from the issued date and it’s clearly noted on the letter itself. Check if it is not expired before going to Myanmar as you will be denied an entry after the expiry date.
With eVisa, you can enter Myanmar at any one of the following:
- One of the 3 International Airports: Yangon, Mandalay, Nay Pyi Taw.
- One of the 5 International Land Border Checkpoints: Tachileik, Myawaddy, Kawthaung, Tamu, Rih Khaw Dar.
Upon arrival to Myanmar, you need to proceed straight to the immigration counter (not Visa on Arrival!), present eVisa approval letter and passport to the Immigration officer and get your passport stamped.
Don’t forget that with eVisa you can stay up to 28 days from the date of your arrival in Myanmar. Check for the date “Until” on the immigration stamp in your passport.