Departure Time & Ticket Price
The departure time from Luang Prabang is at 8 AM every day and the check-in time is 7 AM. During our visit, a one-way ticket from Luang Prabang to Loei cost 180,000 kip/person. However, in reality, we paid 200,000 kip/person because we’ve made a reservation at the agency to make sure that we will get our seat. The price of the ticket included tuk-tuk transfer from hotel to the bus station in the early morning as well.
You can also book a ticket online here: Bus Luang Prabang - Loei.
Bus Station in Luang Prabang
The bus from Luang Prabang to Loei is not a door to door service so you need to get yourself to the station. The bus leaves from Na Luang Minibus station which is located about 10 minutes ride southwest of town.
When we arrived at the station, we just show our reservation and they gave us bus tickets and food coupon for our lunch with our name on it. Before you purchase a ticket, they will make sure that you have a Thailand Visa for crossing the border.
If your nationality doesn’t let you enter Thailand visa free and you don’t have your Thailand visa yet, please check beforehand. Thailand Visa on Arrival can be obtained at the crossing point as Nam Hueng – Tha Li border crossing is one of Immigration Checkpoints issuing Visa on Arrival but you need to make sure if the bus will wait for you at the boarder while you’ll be getting your visa on arrival.
Bus route goes through Sayabouri & Pak Lay where the bus stops for lunch break. The drawback of using this bus is that it takes time. The duration of the trip from Luang Prabang to Loei is about 9-10 hours and varies depending on traffic conditions. It can take longer because the bus stops to pick up and drop off passengers along the way.
Border Crossing at Thali/Nam Heuang Friendship Bridge Checking Point
1. You’ll be dropped off on the Laos side border, where you can just walk straight to the line and present your passport to get stamped out of Laos.
2. Go back to the bus and cross over.
3. Proceed to Thailand entry point, present your passport and Thailand Visa (if you need to have one) and get an entry stamp. You might need to wait a bit here as the bus will wait for the Laotians getting all entry formalities done.
Loei Bus Station
The bus from Luang Prabang terminates at Loei bus station. Loei bus station is not large but has many bus routes and you can arrange your transfer to the next destination here.
More information about local traveling in Thailand can be found here: Traveling around Thailand.
As there is only one daily bus on this route, it's advisable to book a ticket in advance. You can book it online here: Bus Luang Prabang - Loei.
If you will be visiting Loei province, don’t miss a chance to join Thai tourists in a charming town of Chiang Khan:
- Check our 1 night experience in Chiang Khan : Slow Life in Chiang Khan, Loei.
- Don't miss out on these dishes in Chiang Khan by checking our 5 Must Try Dishes in Chiang Khan, Loei.