Tom Zap Leng or Leng Zap is a trendy and delicious Thai Pork Rib Soup. This spicy and sour flavor soup with soft meat that melts in the mouth makes it a favorite food for many tourists and you can find Tom Zap Leng in most of largest night markets in Thailand.
For cooking Tom Zap Leng pork backbone is used and it is not difficult to cook with only broth and bone along with a little seasoning. The broth has a sweet aroma of bones and sweetness from vegetables, you just add some spiciness with Thai seasoning. This spicy pork bone soup is best to eat with hot steamed rice. Let's see the ingredients and how to do it.
Spicy Tom Zap Leng Recipe
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 30 mins
1-2 kg of pork bones (depending on the amount you want to cook)
2-4 liters of water
2-3 coriander roots, crushed
5 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon of salt
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
Spicy Sauce Ingredients
2 tablespoons of red chilli
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup coriander, chopped
1/2 cup spring onion
Steamed rice for serving
Instructions to make Tom Zap Leng
1. Wash pork bones thoroughly until no blood came out, then set aside to drain.
2. Boil water and add Leng bone to blanch for a moment. Drain the water to wash off the fishy smell.
3. Boil water again then put the Leng bone, coriander root, garlic, salt, onion and carrot into the boiled water and turn the heat to about low-medium heat until cooked. In the meantime, you have to continuously scoop out the bubbles to make clear soup.
4. Continue to simmer for about 1-2 hours without covering the lid to allow the bones and meat become tender.
5. Mix the chili, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and stir well to dissolve together. Taste and adjust the seasoning according to your liking. Chop parsley, coriander and spring onions and set aside.
6. Turn the heat off then scoop the Leng bone and soup into a bowl only as much as you want to eat. The rest of the soup can be stored in the refrigerator.
7. Season the soup with prepared spicy sauce, parsley, coriander and spring onions as you like.
8. Serve with steamed rice.
If you are looking to try Thai spicy pork rib soup before cooking it by yourself, head to one of the most popular Bangkok night markets as it is one of the most popular dishes there.