Thailand is easing entry requirements for travelers and set to reopen the country to fully vaccinated travelers with no quarantine from November 2021. However, travelers will still be required to present some documents before traveling and will also have to take a COVID-19 test once they arrive in Thailand.
From 1 October 2021, vaccinated travelers heading to Thailand are required to quarantine for 7 days at Alternative Quarantine (AQ) facilities or one of Sandbox (Island Quarantine) programs. However, Prime Minister announced that the country will begin welcoming fully vaccinated tourists without having to undergo quarantine starting from 1 November 2021. Eligible travelers will have to be fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to traveling to Thailand and tested negative for the coronavirus before their departure and on arrival in Thailand.
Measures for Vaccinated Travelers Entering Thailand
Guidelines for accepting travelers into Thailand without quarantine and without restrictions on areas according to the announcement made by the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CSSA) on 20 October 2021 are as follows:
1. Traveling from an eligible country designated by the Ministry of Public Health and by air only.
2. Have documents or evidence certifying that the vaccination has been completed according to the criteria.
3. Have a COVID-19 test result by RT-PCR method confirming that they have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 no later than 72 hours before departure.
4. Have health insurance for at least 50,000 USD
5. Have a confirmation of 1 night reservation at SHA+ or AQ hotel (find AQ 1-night packages)
6. Upon arrival at the airport, download the application to track your location and get test for COVID-19 by RT-PCR method on day 0-1.
7. When the result of the COVID-19 test is negative, traveler can travel without quarantine.
List of Low Risk Countries
In a recent announcement, Thai government has given permission to travelers from specified low risk countries to be able to travel to Thailand with no quarantine. On 21 October 2021, the list of low-risk countries eligible for the exemption from quarantine has been published and can be found here: Low Risk Countries.
The quarantine measures will remain in place for unvaccinated travelers and they will still need to quarantine for 10 days at Alternative Quarantine Hotel at their own expense.
Blue Zone Areas
Thailand also has announced a 4-phase timeline to open tourism areas, so called “Blue Zone” areas, for getting ready to welcome back travelers.
- Phuket - Phuket Sandbox
- Surat Thani (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao) - Samui Plus Sandbox
- Phang Nga - Phang Nga Sandbox
- Krabi - Krabi Sandbox
More information can be found here: Thailand 4-Phase Reopening Plan: Blue Zone Areas
Further Updates on Thailand Reopening
Keep in mind that during COVID-19 pandemics the rules and regulations are often changed, so we would recommend contacting your local Thai embassy before making any plans or reservations.
In the meantime, follow our Facebook page for the newest updates on traveling to Thailand.