Planning a trip to Thailand and wondering where to stay in Bangkok? To make your visit in the capital city easier, find the detailed guide to Bangkok best areas and places to stay and choose accommodation in the best area of the city according to your preferences and trip plan.
Bangkok Best Areas & Places to Stay
The list of Bangkok best areas and places to stay including the most popular areas in Bangkok and the best rated accommodations in each of them is provided below.
1. Sukhumvit Area in Bangkok
Sukhumvit is the area in Bangkok that we always recommend for the first-time visitors. Sukhumvit is known as the central area as well as Central Business District (CBD) that is bustling with business centers, shopping complexes, numerous dining spots, unlimited nightlife, and a variety of hotels suitable for different budgets.
Terminal 21 Mall with the best spot for Cheap Eats in Bangkok, Emporium Mall, EmQuartier, Benjakitti Park, Benjasiri Park, Nana Plaza (Sukhumvit 4), Soi Cowboy (between Sukhumvit 21 and 23), Soi Arab (Sukhumvit 21), Khlong Toei Market
Bangkok’s Sukhumvit area is easily accessible as one of BTS SkyTrain lines spans along Sukhumvit Road. Popular BTS stations for tourists to stay nearby are Nana, Asok, Phrom Phong, Thong Lo, Ekkamai, Phra Khanong. Asok is the most convenient station as it is right in the center of Sukhumvit area and is directly connected to MRT Metro Sukhumvit Station that makes getting around the city very easy.
As it is the central area, traffic conditions in Sukhumvit area can be quite heavy meaning that 15-mins trip can turn to be 1 hour long journey. Public transportation such as BTS, MRT or even Airport Rail Link should be your preferred choice if you are not willing to waste your time in traffic jams. However, during rush hour trains are packed so you shouldn’t expect much comfort.
Places to Stay in Sukhumvit Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- NK Guesthouse 2 - budget accommodation close to BTS Nana station
- Aspira Sukhumvit - cheap hotel 1 minute from BTS Nana station
- Majestic Suites Hotel - affordable 3-star hotel close to Nana Plaza
- S Box Sukhumvit Hotel - budget hotel near BTS Phrom Phong station
- Hotel Clover Asoke - well-rated art-inspired boutique hotel in the heart of Bangkok's city centre
- Sukhumvit Suites Hotel - good 3-star hotel next to Interchange 21 building
- Thee Bangkok Hotel - nice hotel between BTS Asok and Phrom Phong stations
- Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 - 4-star hotel by Radisson, close to MRT Sukhumvit station
- Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit - fabulous 5-star hotel in the heart of Sukhumvit
- Grande Centre Point Hotel Terminal 21 - 5-star hotel above Terminal 21 shopping mall
- Carlton Hotel Bangkok Sukhumvit - luxury hotel between BTS Asok and Phrom Phong stations
- Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok - 5-star hotel close to Interchange 21 building and Soi Cowboy
2. Silom & Sathorn Area in Bangkok
Silom together with Sathorn is another financial and business hub in Bangkok that is home for the local and international establishments, banking institutions, audit and law firms. The area consists of Silom, Sathorn, Surawong, and Narathiwas-Ratchanakarin (north of Chan Road) Roads. This area is different from Sukhumvit area as Silom gives you green spaces with a huge Lumpini Park where you can relax and soak up the atmosphere. Most of the hotels in Silom area are up-scale hotels set up in skyscrapers with trendy rooftop bars and offering top quality services to tourists. Silom Area is also packed with amazing cafes, high-end restaurants and spots for a lively nightlife. This area is a perfect place to stay for anyone looking for a good time in Bangkok.
Bangkokian Museum, Neilson-Hayes Library, Assumption Cathedral, Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple, Wat Hua Lamphong, Wat Maha Phruettharam, Wat Yan Nawa, King Rama VI Statue, Soi Patpong, Patpong Night Market, Silom Complex mall, Rooftop Bars, Lumphini Park
Silom and Sathorn area can be easily reached by BTS SkyTrain. The central stop of the area is Sala Daeng BTS station which is on the same BTS line as Bangkok’s shopping district Siam Square and Saphan Taksin station (for jumping on Chao Phraya Express Boat). MRT Metro Silom station is also in the area so you can get from Silom area to Chinatown or Sukhumvit directly.
Places to Stay in Silom & Sathorn Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- The Inn Saladaeng - affordable 3-star hotel behind Silom Complex shopping mall
- Pula Silom - budget accommodation next to BTS Sala Daeng station
- The Raya Surawong Bangkok - modern boutique hotel close to Patpong night market
- Holiday Inn Express Bangkok Sathorn - smart hotel in the middle of Bangkok's Sathorn business district
- Aetas Lumpini - contemporary hotel opposite the green expanse of Lumpini Park
- Bandara Suites Silom, Bangkok - spacious suites close to Lumpini Park
- The Sukhothai Bangkok - one of the best Bangkok luxury hotels in Sathorn
- COMO Metropolitan Bangkok - 5-star hotel offering luxurious living with bespoke amenities
- Banyan Tree Bangkok - 5-star high-rise urban resort in Bangkok with great rooftop bar
- Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park - luxury hotel next to Sala Daeng BTS Skytrain station
3. Siam Area in Bangkok
If you’re looking for a fresh and trendy area to stay in Bangkok, Siam area is where you need to start your search. Siam is a famous shopping and entertainment district which easily reachable from different parts of Bangkok. There is a top university, restaurants, fashion boutiques and chic cafes scattered around this area. Siam area is a lively place worshiped by the upper-class teenagers for fashion shopping and hanging out during daytime.
Siam area consists of 3 sections:
1. Siam Square: a shopping hub for everyone
2. Ratchaprasong: an up-scale shopping area with CentralWorld and many luxurious malls such as Gaysorn
3. Ploenchit: There are some shops and offices around this area, which is mostly home to foreign embassies
Bangkok Art and Culture Centre (BACC), MBK Center, Erawan Shrine, Jim Thompson House, Siam Center, Siam Discovery and Siam Paragon, Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World, CentralWorld, Madam Tussauds Museum, Wat Pathum Wanaram
Siam area is easily reached by BTS SkyTrain as Siam station is the station where BTS Silom and Sukhumvit lines connect. There is also Sapan Hua Chang Pier where you can get on Saen Saep Express Boat and travel to the old town of Bangkok.
Places to Stay in Siam Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- House Of Papa Bangkok Siam - affordable 3-star hotel behind National Stadium
- ibis Bangkok Siam - hotel right next to National Stadium BTS Skytrain Station and MBK Shopping Centre
- Bliston Suwan Park View - spacious suites 3 minutes from Chidlom Skytrain Station
- The Duchess Hotel - hotel in Langsuan neighbourhood, lined with boutiques and posh restaurants
- Evergreen Place Siam by UHG - well-rated 4-star hotel just 2-minute walk to BTS Ratchathewi Station
- Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel - five-star hotel in Ratchaprasong
- Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok - 5-star luxury hotel, located right next to the famous Erawan Shrine
- InterContinental Bangkok - 37-storey luxury Bangkok hotel adjacent to BTS Chitlom Skytrain station
- The Okura Prestige Bangkok - five-star luxury hotel in Bangkok offering impressive city views
4. Bangkok Riverside Area
Bangkok Riverside Area can be found along the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok and covers Charoen Krung Road, Charoennakorn and Rama III Road. The Riverside area offers a relaxing atmosphere with spectacular views of the river and is becoming increasingly popular among tourists as it is close to most of the cultural-historical attractions that are a must-see for Bangkok’s first-time visitors. There are several luxury hotels, high-rise condominiums, and corporate buildings located on both sides of the river, many of them linked to BTS SkyTrain by private shuttle boat services.
Wat Pho (Temple of Reclining Buddha), Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of Emerald Buddha), Grand Palace, Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn), Asiatique the Riverfront, The Royal Barges Museum, Phra Sumen Fort, Church of Santa Cruz, Holy Rosary Church, Bang Khun Phrom Palace, Wat Kalayanamit, Pak Khlong Talat (Flower Market), Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruises
Getting around the Riverside area is easy with Chao Phraya Express Boats, Cross River Ferries and chartered boats. Reaching other Bangkok areas is also not a problem as you can take a boat to the central pier (Sathorn Pier) and transfer to BTS SkyTrain at the nearby Saphan Taksin BTS Station for continuing your trip to the city.
Places to Stay in Bangkok Riverside Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- Kaloang home - the real traditional Thai living lifestyle place on the Chao Phraya River
- The Quarter Chaophraya - riverside hotel a few steps away from BTS Gold Line Khlong San station
- Ibis Bangkok Riverside - 3-star Bangkok riverside hotel a few minutes away from ICONSIAM
- Aurum The River Place - compact-sized boutique hotel within a short walking distance to Grand Palace
- Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok at Chao Phraya River - hotel offering luxe accommodations, inventive cuisine and sweeping views of the Chao Phraya River
- Millennium Hilton Bangkok - luxury hotel just a few minutes' walk from ICONSIAM shopping complex
- Mandarin Oriental Bangkok - luxury five-star hotel and a haven of calm on the banks of the river
- The Peninsula Bangkok - luxurious urban retreat with complimentary wellness activities
- Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok - luxury 5-star hotel, nestled along the largest riverfront setting
More hotels and other accommodations on the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok can be found here: Best Hotels near the Chao Phraya River.
5. Khao San Road Area in Bangkok
Khao San Road area is the most popular location to stay in Bangkok between backpackers. If you are looking for a party, this is your place! Khao San Road is located in Banglamphu area, just North of and just outside of the old city, the area where many famous temples, Grand Palace and other historical attractions can be found. Khao San Road is also the best area for night time hangouts with dozens of restaurants and bars, tattoo shops and massage salons.
Khao San Road is by far the cheapest area to stay in all of Bangkok as there are many budget accommodations available. However, the road itself is busy and bustling with tourists all night long so the noise from the street can make it impossible to sleep. There are streets nearby such as Soi Rambuttri, Sam Sen Road where you can find a better stay and escape from the noise and chaos.
Democracy Monument, October 14 Memorial, Phra Sumen Fort, Santichaiprakarn Park, Wat Bowonniwet, Wat Chana Songkhram, The National Gallery
Khao San Road is easily accessible from both airports of Bangkok as you can take a direct bus S1 from Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) and direct bus A4 from Don Mueang Airport (DMK). Historical and cultural attractions are within the walking distance. Khao San Road area is not far from the Chao Phraya River so you can take the boat for sightseeing. The most important piers are Tha Chang (for the Grand Palace), Tha Tien (for Wat Pho) and Rachawongse (for Chinatown). All Chao Phraya Express Boats go to Sathorn Pier, where you can transfer to BTS SkyTrain. Beware of taxi and tuk-tuk drivers in the area as usually they operate on their flat rate and will hardly miss a chance to rip you off.
Places to Stay in Khao San Road Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- Lamphuhouse Bangkok - affordable hotel in Soi Rambrutri, 5 minutes’ walk away from Khao San Road
- Khaosan Art Hotel - well-rated budget hotel close to the river and Khao San Road
- New Siam III Guest House - low-key guesthouse offering an open-air café and plain rooms
- Chillax Heritage - hip hotel designed with concepts of Ancient History, 5 minutes’ walk to Khao San Road
- Casa Vimaya Riverside - elegant hotel on Phra Sumen Road in a historic neighborhood of Bangkok
- Villa De Khaosan Hotel - unique and timeless design hotel in Khao San Road Area
- Siam Champs Elyseesi Unique Hotel - hotel located in the heart of Bangkok City Old Town
- Siri Heritage Bangkok Hotel - hotel located on Rattanakosin Island near Grand Palace and Khao San Road
- Baan Noppawong - one of the beautiful traditional Thai houses in Bangkok Old Town
- Riva Surya Bangkok - 4-star hotel offering luxury and comfort along Chao Phraya River
6. Suvarnabhumi Airport Area in Bangkok
Suvarnabhumi Airport area is suitable for those who are waiting for a connecting flight or have a flight departing early in the morning. The accommodations at Suvarnabhumi Airport are very convenient but quite high priced. Otherwise, there are many reasonably priced hotels in the nearby Lat Krabang District and most of them offer shuttle service between the airport and hotel.
The Paseo Mall, Mega Bangna Mall, The Mall Bangkai, Wat Lan Boon, Suvarnabhumi Outdoor Market, Train Market Srinakarin
Taking a taxi is the most convenient option for traveling around if you are staying in Suvarnabhumi Airport area. Taxi to/from the airport should cost less than 100 baht. Airport Rail Link is another useful choice as Lat Krabang station is just 1 stop from the airport. Central Bangkok can also be easily reached by Airport Rail Link as it’s the cheapest and fastest way for getting into the city from Suvarnabhumi area. You can take a train to Ratchaprarop station which is just 200 meters from the Pratunam shopping area.
Places to Stay in Bangkok Airport Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- Na Siri Lake View - budget accommodation 4 km from Suvarnabhumi Airport
- The O-Zone Airport Inn - affordable 3-star property just 1 km from Bangkok Airport
- Orchid Resort - cheap resort next to Suvarnabhumi Flea Market
- Mariya Boutique Hotel - low-rise 4-storey property just a few minutes from Suvarnabhumi Airport
- At Residence Suvarnabhumi - serviced residence located not far from Airport Link Lat Krabang Station
- Vismaya Suvarnabhumi - hotel 10 minutes’ drive from Suvarnabhumi Airport with airport pick-up shuttle
- The Park Nine Hotel Suvarnabhumi - hotel that combines the comfort of creative design with the convenience of location near Bangkok Airport
- Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport - the only official airport hotel in Suvarnabhumi Airport, which is 24-Hour Flexi – with no set check-in time, arrive when it suits you and checkout 24 hours later
7. Pratunam Area in Bangkok
Pratunam area is a commercial district in Bangkok that is very popular between retailers and foreigners. Pratunam is located in the heart of the city, at the intersection of Petchburi Road and Ratchaprarop Road, and also includes the areas of Victory Monument, Ratchathewi and Makkasan. Pratunam area features numerous shopping centers and accommodations for a good price.
Baiyoke Tower II Observatory and Revolving Roof deck, Bangkok Dolls Museum, Phaya Thai Palace, Suan Pakkad Palace, Thai Labour Museum, Victory Monument, Pratunam Market, Talad Neon Night Market, Platinum Fashion Mall, Indra Square, Krungthong Plaza, Palladium Night Market
Pratunam area can be reached by BTS SkyTrain as Ratchathewi, Phaya Thai and Victory Mounment BTS stations are located in the area. Phaya Thai BTS station is connected with same named Airport Rail Link station, making a trip to Airport Rail Link Ratchaprarop station (the nearest station to Pratunam Market) easy from anywhere in Bangkok. At Pratunam Pier, there is Saen Saep Express Boat service available for getting to the old town of Bangkok. Pratunam area is easily accessible from Don Mueang Airport (DMK) by a direct bus A3. What are the options for traveling to Pratunam from Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), check here: How to get from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) to Pratunam Area.
Places to Stay in Pratunam Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- 4M Pratunam Hotel - affordable 3-star hotel in Pratunam area
- Siam Star Hotel - budget hotel just 200 metres from Ratchaprarop Airport Rail Link Station
- Pratunam 19 Hotel - cheap hotel located in Pratunam Market area
- Centre Point Pratunam - hotel near Pratunam Market right across from Platinum Fashion Mall
- Lemontea Hotel - well-rated hotel, conveniently located in the middle of Pratunam Fashion Market
- Century Park Hotel - an elegant 4-star hotel located in the Victory Monument Area
- Spenza Hotel - hotel within a 10-minute walk from Ratchaprarop Airport Rail Link Station
- Amari Watergate Bangkok - 5-star luxury hotel across the street from Platinum Fashion Mall
- Novotel Bangkok Platinum Pratunam - hotel right in the middle of Bangkok’s fashion and shopping district
- Centara Watergate Pavillion Hotel Bangkok - trendy 4-star Bangkok hotel in the heart of Pratunam
- VIE Hotel Bangkok, MGallery - 5-star boutique hotel just steps away from BTS Ratchathewi station
8. Bangkok Chinatown Area
Chinatown area also known as Yaowarat is one of the oldest and unique cultural areas of Bangkok. The streets of Chinatown are full of colorful buildings and decorations. The area boasts its multi-cultural environment. Chinatown is a good place to stay for food lovers or people planning to visit all the main attractions of Bangkok. There are many boutique accommodations, garments and the prices here are affordable.
Wat Traimit (Temple of Golden Buddha), Chinese Heritage Centre, Yaowarat Road, Odeon Circle, Sampheng Market, Guan Yin Shrine, Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong)
You can easily come to Chinatown by public transportation. You can take MRT Metro from anywhere in the city to Hua Lamphong MRT station which is the nearest to Chinatown. Taking Chao Phraya Express Boat is another convenient option for getting to Chinatown as you can board the boat at Sathorn Pier (near Saphan Taksin BTS station) and get off at Rachawongse Pier.
Places to Stay in Chinatown Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- Merge Hostel - budget accommodation with a garden, shared lounge, terrace and bar
- W22 by Burasari - 3-star budget boutique lifestyle hotel with a youthful vibe in Bangkok Chinatown
- Hotel Royal Bangkok@Chinatown - lifestyle hotel that measures up in comfort and design in Chinatown
- SK Boutique Mahanakhon - hotel opposite Hua Lampong Train Station
- Chinatown Hotel - hotel in Bangkok excellent located on Yaowarat road in Chinatown area
- The Quarter Hualamphong by UHG - modern oriental style 4-star hotel, close to the old railway station
- Grand China Hotel - 4-star hotel at the Ratchawong and Yaowarat Road intersection
- Shanghai Mansion Bangkok - an award-winning luxury boutique hotel in the heart of Chinatown
9. Chatuchak Area in Bangkok
Chatuchak Area is a good place to stay if you need to be around Don Mueang Airport, Mo Chit Bus Terminal or Mochit Van Terminal. The area is far from most of the malls and tourist attractions as the only famous place around is Chatuchak Weekend Market. However, both MRT and BTS lines pass this area so it's easy to get to anywhere in the city. The nearby Soi Ari is a hip place with plenty of cheap dining options. Accommodation in this area is slightly cheaper than in other areas.
Chatuchak Weekend Market (JJ Market), Chatuchak Friday Night Market, Children's Discovery Museum, JJ Mall, Queen Sirikit Park, Railway of Thailand Museum, Wachirabenchatat Park, Or Tor Kor Market, Ratchayothin night market, Elephant Tower, Central Plaza Lat Phrao, Union Mall
There are direct buses A1 and A2 from Don Mueang Airport to Chatuchak area. BTS SkyTrain and MRT Metro are an excellent way to get in and around this area and other parts of the city. The main BTS stations in Chatuchak area are Sanam Pao, Ari and Saphan Khwai, before reaching its final destination at Mo Chit where you can change to MRT at Chatuchak Park station. Going around by taxi is also possible, but insist on the meter.
Places to Stay in Chatuchak Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- KENCOZY accommodation - affordable accommodation near Big C Supercenter (Saphan Kwai)
- Pillow & Bread - budget accommodation 12-minute walk from BTS Saphan Kwai Station
- The Quarter Ladprao by UHG - hotel set on the Ladprao intersection and adjoining to MRT station
- C U Inn Bangkok - stylish 3-star hotel on Vibhavadi Rd, close to the famous Chatuchak weekend market
- The Lek Aree - accommodation located just a 10-minute walk from BTS Ari Station
- Centara Grand at Central Plaza Ladprao Bangkok - five-star luxury hotel within the Ladprao business district and moments away from Chatuchak Park
10. Ratchadaphisek Area in Bangkok
If you are a person of new generation who is passionate about the lively lifestyle in large cities, Ratchadapisek area is the place where you should consider staying in Bangkok. Ratchadaphisek Area known as Ratchada is a commercial and residential area in the city center and is becoming a new hip area. The area is popular with Chinese and Japanese tourists, but not as popular as the Sukhumvit area for western tourists. Ratchada area not only has many chic community malls, chillax cafes, night clubs and huge massage parlours, it also has unique and stylish accommodations available for a good value.
Ratchadaphisek Area is convenient for traveling by MRT Metro which runs along a good length of the road, making it easy to get to Chatuchak Weekend Market or Central Latprao Shopping Mall, and to connect to BTS SkyTrain or Airport Rail Link. The main MRT stations in Ratchada area are Phetchaburi, Phra Ram 9, Thailand Cultural Centre, Huai Khwang, Sutthisan and Ratchadaphisek. Taxi is another way to get around the area.
Places to Stay in Ratchada Area
Budget Friendly Hotels:
- Double DD House Suthisan - affordable accommodation 100 metres from Sutthisan MRT Subway Station
- Blissotel Ratchada - budget hotel a 10-minute walk from Phra Ram 9 MRT Station
- Mango 10 House - cheap accommodation opposite Thailand Cultural Centre
- Praso@Ratchada12 - hotel in one of the best locations in Ratchadapisek area
- Mestyle Garage Hotel - uniquely designed hotel not far from MRT Huai Khwang station
- STAY Hotel BKK - stylish hotel in Ratchadapisek 17, 10 minutes from MRT Sutthisan station
- Swissotel Bangkok Ratchada - five-star hotel with direct access to MRT Huai Khwang Station
- Amaranta Hotel - luxurious hotel in Huai Khwang, Ratchada with first class facilities
- Amanta Hotel & Residence Ratchada - 4-star hotel five-minute walk from MRT Thailand Cultural Centre station